Tuesday 20 March 2012

NRL Issues of Contention Round 3

Well here I was thinking with one game to go and not thinking there was any major talking point that really warranted any comments by myself.  I should have known better.



In the Cronulla vs Manly game, Tony Williams was reported for a dangerous throw in what I would describe as one of the worst deliberate spear tackles in a long time.  See it how you want, but Williams deliberately lifted the player and drove him down into the ground. Watch the highlights and make make your own conclusion but I will not change from mine.  With what was an obvious dangerous tackle and after being set at a grade four, I also asked the question as to why he as not sent off.  How bad does an incident need to be to have someone sent off?  Guaranteed you will see a send off for less an offence this season. Or was it for the fact that the tackle did not result in serious injury that no harsh reaction was taken.  If this is the case then the referees are playing a dangerous game as the outcome of a dangerous tackle should not alter the punishment. It is only luck that Williams did not cause a major injury.  And one cannot describe the tackle as careless or reckless, as Williams looks to have been deliberate in his efforts to lift and rotate the player.  For me this tackle should not have been graded and instead sent straight to the judiciary.  This is the sort of tackle that can end the career of a player and cause major spinal injury or worse. I will be interested to see how this one pans out over the next few days. And I am happy enough to raise the conspiracy theory - how would this be handled by the judiciary and media if the player in question was a Queenslander.  If Williams gets off lightly then you know my thoughts, if he misses a minimum 10 weeks then all is good south of the border at NRL headquarters and the judiciary.






No comments:

Post a Comment