Monday 30 April 2012

Weekend Wrap

Another weekend gone and another round of sporting events to write about.  




Hat-trick of Classic Goals

When I stayed up to watch Liverpool FC vs Norwich, I was not sure what to expect. I was confident they were going to win, not sure why, just had the feeling this was a game not to miss.  On the 24th minute my feeling were confirmed when Gerrard set up Suarez perfectly for what was a clinical finish to start the scoring. Four minutes later when Suarez, scored again 4 minutes later with another clinical finish to make it 2-0, I knew I was about to watch Suarez score his first hat-trick for Liverpool. Although it took until the 82nd minute for the third to occur, it was worth the wait. Most players would have played out the situation very diffently when receiving the ball in clear space from half-way, instead of pressing forward and closing down with partners in co, Suarez instead coolly, sent the ball on it's way, finding the keeper way off his line and no chance of stopping what will e one of the great goals for he season.  What a perfect way to finish off what were all great goals.

A Cheat in my book
Rugby Union

Instead of focusing on one game or incident instead I will talk about how this game will lose viewers quicker than any other code in Australia if it keeps going the way it is.  Why is it that Australian teams always seem to get the rough end of all decisions in Super Rugby?  With so many dubious calls, it cannot be errors or poor refereeing. One only has to watch a game where Kaplan is in charge to understand my frustration. As I Queenslander I love nothing more than seeing NSW lose in sport, but against the Crusaders (Yes I admit I love seeing a New Zealand side lose more), the Waratahs were never given a chance by Kaplan. Although if NSW had a decent centre instead of Carter they would have won the game, which shows how poor a side the Crusaders are even with the help of the officials. Rugby Union is one game where when played in Australia, you  very rarely see "Home town advantage".  Outside of Australia, it is a very different story.



Loyalty Wins Out

When I heard that Genia had signed with Western Force, I was not happy.  I can understand a player wanting to sign for more money and who can blame them, but with what the Red's have built and the players they have retained I was surprised.  I was also surprised when I read today that Genia had done an about face and re-signed with the Reds. What doesn't surprise me is why he did it. A winning culture and knowing that he can continue to enjoy that feeling of winning and enjoying it with a great team.  Reading between the lines, he has decided that no money is worth it for the losing feeling every week.  



Queensland Firebirds Fall Short

From the outset, the Firebirds look like a team on fire and on a mission.  Unfortunately they were pipped in the final minute of a game that they never should have lost.  But that is sport and they will bounce back and learn from the experience. Also the debut of Nicola Gray for the Firebirds was very impressive and I think she can go on to great things after what I saw. One thing I need clarification on though is the rules of Netball. As I am not an avid watcher I do get frustrated with the calls and especially the advantage call. Some games you never hear advantage and the whistle blows constantly and then you get a game like the Firebirds vs Vixens where you hear advantage called more than once, the ball never gets further than one pass yet a turnover is allowed.  This is where I need clarification. Is this poor officiating? If advantage is called, does that not mean anything if no advantage is gained?

Yet again I may have missed many stories and sporting events.  If you feel there is a sporting vent coming up that you want my insight into, let me know.  I will aslo state at this point, I need to write down thoughts I have during games, as I am sure I told the Sideline Reporter I would mention something from yesterday.




No comments:

Post a Comment