Thursday 8 November 2012

The Sydney Trip: Part 1

Not my normal sort of article but one I would like to share.

As I am a member of the Football Media Association I was given the opportunity to attend a Professional Development Day focusing on social Media. As I am a blogger and a facebook/twitter addict this was a good opportunity to learn and make sure that I know how it should be done by a journalist.

Thanks to the Johnny Warren Foundation I was flown down to Sydney to attend the day and a few more to take in an A-League game. My thanks can not be said enough for this opportunity. This though created a situation I never thought would be conquered. Firstly, I have a fear of flying. I had never flown before and with a history of collapsed lungs knew that flying was a major risk (mainly long distance flights, ie: overseas) but a fear nonetheless. Once the flights were booked though I knew I couldn't turn back but was that nervous at the airport waiting, I was shaking.  Although the air-con was cold so for now I am blaming it.

From the Moment I checked in though I knew it was all meant to be. Someone I knew was at check in and from there in I seemed to get special service. I was on a Dash-8 to Brisbane which didn't give me much confidence but seated next to me was someone who was part of a flight school and had flown a lot. They kept me distracted and once the plane was in the air, it became one of the best experiences in my life.

This is where the second issue arises. For those who don't know, I have facial agnosia, which is the inability to recognise faces and from that I have an anxiety of sorts about being at large gatherings or on my own in unfamiliar places. Brisbane airport was an overwhelming experience but it seemed that every staff member that dealt with me knew. Once I got on the plane to Sydney all my fears of flying were gone and all I wanted to do was watch the scenery out the window. I think I now have a want to fly more. Major fear conquered.

Once in Sydney though my anxiety kicked in again. Stars were aligned though and from landing onwards it has all been good. Taxi driver was excellent and hotel staff have been brilliant (gotta love housekeeping that sorts your clothes out for you)  and the food is great. Also Bundaberg needs to send people down so they can learn to make coffee.

Today was the main reason for the trip. A Professional Development Day for the Football Media Association on Social Media by Julie Posetti. I can confidently say that in Bundaberg I might be one of the most knowledgeable people on how social media should be used by journalists. To have had the opportunity to be trained and meet Julie is an honour and one I never thought I would get. One of the best, if not best, trainers/facilitators/teachers I have ever had. Now I think I have to start hassling the local paper. As a socially awkward person though it took me awhile to relax and talk to those attending. Very grateful that I did though. My passion could now grow to an obsession.

After talking to Julie my passion for sports writing has grown and I now have the confidence to write the article I have been sitting on for awhile but it will take time. Next stage is tomorrow where I will be at a pubcast that talks all that is football and it will be another test of my social awkwardness and if I conquer it I know I am doing the right thing.



No comments:

Post a Comment