Saturday 11 August 2012

London 2012: Day 12-14

The games are almost over and over the last three days there is only one issue I want to raise. I have mentioned it before and I will mention it again. Drug Cheats. No Olympics will ever be clean of drugs and if you think I am wrong then ask yourself one question: "Will society ever be clean of drugs or cheats?"

What is worse than drug cheats are the hypocrites who ave retired from sport and throw accusations at athletes who have not been found to have taken any illegal substances.  In this light I am referring to the one and only, Carl lewis.  I have always thought this man to be  a disgrace to his sport. When a person tests positive 3 times and has those results swept under the carpet by the US Olympic committee before the 1988 Olympics, you know that all credibility has gone. When almost every competitor in the infamous 1988 100m final has been caught, you know that the eventual winner, with a tainted record, could not be clean either. Yet like most things back then, the Olympic Committee was too scared to stand up to the United States.
Usain Bolt's message to Carl Lewis
Ever since that fateful year and after his retirement it seems that Carl Lewis has always thrown negative comments towards anyone in athletics who has gone on to beat his records or hold titles. What is good to see is Usain Bolt respond in a very straight forward manner:

“I’m going to say something controversial right now, Carl Lewis - I have no respect for him,” Bolt said, having cited 1936 quadruple champion Jesse Owens as a man he held in the highest regard.

“The things he (Lewis) says about the track athletes, it’s really downgrading for another athlete to be saying something like that about other athletes.
“I think he is just looking for attention really because nobody really talks much about him. It was really sad for me when I heard the other day what he was saying, it was upsetting.
“So, for me, I’ve lost all respect for him, all respect.
“It was all about drugs, about drugs stuff for me. For an athlete to be out of the sport saying that was really upsetting for me. As far as I am concerned he is just looking for attention.”
But maybe Carl knows what it took him for to compete at the top level and thinks everyone needs to do it as well.






No comments:

Post a Comment