Monday 24 October 2011

On This Day....

Today will be the first of what I can hopefully do every day.  A brief history of sporting facts that occurred on this day in history. Mainly it will be of what I consider to be important or interesting in the history of sport.  Feel free to let me know if anything occurred that I missed.

1857:  World's First Football (Soccer) club formed - Sheffield FC in England.
1972:  Jackie Robinson (First black baseball player - Brooklyn Dodgers) dies at 53
1984:  Steffi Graf plays her first professional Tennis Match
1996: Hasan Razza makes Test debut for pakistan aged 14 Years 238 days (although i always question the age of players from the sub continent)

Also on this day the Toronto Blue Jays are noted as being the first non-American team to win the World Series.  Worthy of a mention but more worthy of a criticism.  Don't get me wrong I like watching baseball and the World Series but really it is an American Baseball Competition.  How one can truly call it a world series I don't know.

2 comments:

  1. johnnyjojoshabadoo24 October 2011 at 16:49

    This is a good post for a Monday. Should do it every Monday to get over the Monday-itess!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Might be a bit easier to do a week in sports history as well.

    ReplyDelete